2023 OFS Solo and Ensemble Festival
Sunday, February 26th, 2023
Oklahoma City University
Bass School of Music
2501 N. Blackwelder Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73106
Online Entry Deadline
Friday, February 10, 2023 11:59 p.m.
· 6th grade and under, 7th-8th, 9th-10th, and 11th-12th
· Solos and ensembles
· Professional flutists will evaluate performances and provide written critiques.
· Outstanding soloists from each division play on an Honor Recital
· Ribbons and/or Certificates
· Outstanding High School Soloist Awards cash prizes of $200 and $100
OFS Community Outreach Scholarships to attend the OFS Solo and Ensemble Festival at no charge are available to individuals who qualify. Complete information is posted on the website under the Community Outreach tab.
· Memorization of solos is optional.
· Participants will provide the judge a copy of their solo with measures numbered. Judges may write on the music if it is a copy. Students do need to have an original. Please provide full score for ensembles.
· Time limit: Ten (10) minutes. Multi-movement works are acceptable. If a piece of music exceeds the time limit, the judge will ask the performer to stop playing.
· No cuts may be made in the flute part, however, cuts in the piano introduction/interludes are acceptable. Repeated sections marked by dot repeats or first/second endings are at the performer’s discretion.
· Works with accompaniment must be performed with accompaniment. SmartMusic or commercially recorded accompaniments are allowed during the judging and the recital. Students must provide the equipment. If equipment malfunctions, whether by user or equipment error, the student will receive judge’s comments but will not be eligible to compete in the finals.
· All soloists must members of the Oklahoma Flute Society.
· Ensembles may be any size and instrumentation, but at least one player must be a flutist and OFS member.
· Previous winners of the Outstanding High School Soloist Award are eligible to enter again. Only 9th-12th grade students will be eligible for the Outstanding High School Soloist Award.
· Judges’ decisions are final.